Niner Football is Back
The wait is over. In less than ten hours the 49ers take the field in their preseason opener against the Denver Broncos. The game is set to air on ESPN and I for one, can’t wait. Here are some tidbits (from Maiocco) to expect during tonight’s game.
– Starter on both offense and defense are expected to play 15 snaps or the first quarter, whichever comes first.
– The second team will enter in the second quarter. Some might even start the third quarter. The third unit will play most of the third and the entire fourth quarters.
– At running back, Maurice Hicks and Michael Robinson will split the first quarter. Robinson will continue in the second quarter to help out with third downs. Thomas Clayton and Arkee Whitlock will get a lot of action.
– At quarterback, Alex Smith will play with the first unit. Trent Dilfer will play the second. Shaun Hill will play the third and fourth quarters. If the opportunity presents itself, rookie Luke Getsy might get in at the end.
– There will be a moment of silence Monday for Walsh at Candlestick prior to the exhibition opener against the Broncos.